Know the Game - Darts by Deryk Brown
Many thousands of darts fans will be familiar with the ‘Know the Game’ (KTG) series and will welcome – as I do – the ‘Second Edition.’ This helpful guide by Deryk Brown includes all you need to know about rules and formats, choosing your darts, how to play and how to improve your game.
Darts first appeared in the KTG series in 1955 as part of publication ‘Know the Game – Inn Games.’ At that time the anonymous author recommended that ‘To be efficient…a dart should have a sharpened point made of steel, a barrel to give a good grip for the fingers, and a paper, feather, or moulded plastic flight.’ There was no mention of darts history or, for example, regional boards. However, all that changed in 1978 by which time darts had become so popular as a sport in its own right that a separate KTG book was published specifically about darts.
Its scope was much wider and author Deryk Brown included an outline of the history of the sport, discussed alternative dartboards and, of course, reference was made to the influence of tungsten on the game. Photographs featured the key stars of the day including Eric Bristow, John Lowe and Maureen Flowers. ‘Know the Game – Darts’ was reprinted with slight amendments to the text and new photos in 1984 and was republished in 1995.
Nine years on and with Deryk acknowledging help provided by Darts Historian, Patrick Chaplin, the WINMAU Dartboard Company and David Alderman of the BDO, Know the Game - Darts remains the indispensable basic guide to all those starting out in darts for the first time and for those who want to play just that little bit better. I am at a bit of a loss to understand why the full BDO Playing Rules need to be included but otherwise this is an excellent edition to any darters library.
Finally, it is refreshing to see a lady darter – the fabulous Trina Gulliver – on the front page. I think this is the first time that a female dart player has appeared on the cover of any darts publication produced in the UK.
© 2004 Derek Dobbs
Know the Game – Darts is published by A & C Black (Publishers) Ltd., London (ISBN 0-7136-6681-1), is priced at £4.99 and is available from all good bookshops.
© 2007 Patrick Chaplin
- Darts Miscellany By Matt Bozeat
- The Official Bar Guide to Darts by Patrick Chaplin
- The Darts Bible By David Norton & Patrick Mcloughlin (With Steve Brown)
- Played at the Pub - The Pub Games of Britain By Arthur R. Taylor
- Darts in England 1900 - 1939
- Old Stoneface: The Autobiography of Britain's Greatest Darts Player
- The Darts 'B' Team By Colin S. Drury
- The Complete Dartshooter
- John Lowe Reveals ‘The Art of Darts’
- Eric Bristow - The Crafty Cockney The Autobiography
- The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts (2nd Edition)
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts
- Darts with the Lid Off By Alan And Geoffrey D’Egville
- Trina Gulliver Golden Girl The Autobiography of
The Greatest Ever Ladies' Dart Player
- Murder on The Darts Board - Justin Irwin
- The Sun darts Quiz Book by Chris Bradshaw
- ‘Bellies and Bullseyes’- By Sid Waddell
- Make Mine a Double
- Bobby Dazzler – My Story, Bobby George
- Cupid's Dart by David Nobbs
- It's a Funny Old Game, Darts, Life -
The Best of Dartoid
- 101 Excuses for Bad Darts
- Know the Game - Darts by Deryk Brown
- 'The Power - My Autobiography' by Phil Taylor
- Planet Darts by Niall Edworthy
- In and Out by Mat Coward
- Unicorn Darts Yearbook 1978
- To The Point - By Dan William Peek
- Premiership 2006 & Eric Bristow's First Embassy Victory 1980
- The Story of darts - Video & DVD
- DIGLS Dartboard
- The Circumluminator -
Shadow Free Dartboard Lighting
- ‘Madhouse’ Mobile Phone Application Launched
NEW BOOK OUT NOW!
Learn more about my latest book and where to order it. 180! is packed with fascinating and mind-boggling facts with not a statistic in sight. It will make a great gift for all darts fans. CLICK HERE