The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris
Keith Lee Morris is an associate professor of English and creative writing at Clemson University, South Carolina who certainly knows his darts and how to weave the world of local darts into a story of complex relationships, murder, drug-dealing and intrigue. Five fates are inextricably linked in this fine novel and the whole thing is played out in one night.
This format of darts/crime has been done before (Roy Lewis’s Seek for Justice (1981) and of course Martin Amis’s London Fields (1989) immediately spring to mind) but Morris takes an original perspective by placing his prose in small-town America.
Russell Harmon is the self-proclaimed ‘king’ of a local Idaho darts league. He has also a point to prove and the league title to win against ex-pro darter Brice Habersham. Harmon is also $2,000 in debt to drug-dealer Vince Thompson. Add to this his teammate Tristan Mackey being involved in the disappearance of a young female college student plus a love triangle with a former classmate and you have the basis of a good novel.
Whilst the story pivots around Harmon, one other character stood out above the rest. There is, for want of a better word, a darkness about drug-dealer Vince Thompson that for me makes him one of the most powerful characters in the book. Morris emphasises Vince’s mental condition by the employment of extremely long sentences full of anger (and foul language) that make you want to strike the character with a baseball bat to shut him up.
Personally, I never knew so much could happen on darts night.
The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris is published by Tin House Books, Portland, Oregon is priced at $14.95. It is available through Amazon.com or via the publisher at www.tinhouse.com
- Darts Miscellany By Matt Bozeat
- The Official Bar Guide to Darts by Patrick Chaplin
- The Darts Bible By David Norton & Patrick Mcloughlin (With Steve Brown)
- Played at the Pub - The Pub Games of Britain By Arthur R. Taylor
- Darts in England 1900 - 1939
- Old Stoneface: The Autobiography of Britain's Greatest Darts Player
- The Darts 'B' Team By Colin S. Drury
- The Complete Dartshooter
- John Lowe Reveals ‘The Art of Darts’
- Eric Bristow - The Crafty Cockney The Autobiography
- The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts (2nd Edition)
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts
- Darts with the Lid Off By Alan And Geoffrey D’Egville
- Trina Gulliver Golden Girl The Autobiography of
The Greatest Ever Ladies' Dart Player
- Murder on The Darts Board - Justin Irwin
- The Sun darts Quiz Book by Chris Bradshaw
- ‘Bellies and Bullseyes’- By Sid Waddell
- Make Mine a Double
- Bobby Dazzler – My Story, Bobby George
- Cupid's Dart by David Nobbs
- It's a Funny Old Game, Darts, Life -
The Best of Dartoid
- 101 Excuses for Bad Darts
- Know the Game - Darts by Deryk Brown
- 'The Power - My Autobiography' by Phil Taylor
- Planet Darts by Niall Edworthy
- In and Out by Mat Coward
- Unicorn Darts Yearbook 1978
- To The Point - By Dan William Peek
- Premiership 2006 & Eric Bristow's First Embassy Victory 1980
- The Story of darts - Video & DVD
- DIGLS Dartboard
- The Circumluminator -
Shadow Free Dartboard Lighting
- ‘Madhouse’ Mobile Phone Application Launched
NEW BOOK OUT NOW!
Learn more about my latest book and where to order it. 180! is packed with fascinating and mind-boggling facts with not a statistic in sight. It will make a great gift for all darts fans. CLICK HERE