Your quick guide to the Worlds longest running Major Darts Event
The Winmau World Masters
- The Men's World Masters has been played annually since 1974, and the 2008 Winmau World Masters will be the 35th staging of the oldest established major in World Darts and shown live on the BBC TV from The Spa, Bridlington over the weekend of December 6th and 7th.
- The Women's Winmau World Masters was added in 1982 and is the oldest established World Championship event for Women, of which Winmau sponsored Trina Gulliver has won a record breaking 5 times.
- Players from over sixty countries, representing all six continents of the world are invited to compete.
- 40 countries and approaching 1,000 players will compete in the Winmau Finals this year alone.
- Every year hundreds of thousands of players set out on the path to compete in the World Masters.
- With hundreds of thousands of players annually going through national qualifiers, over 5 million players have played in the Winmau World Masters
- In its 35 Year History The Winmau World Masters has an accumulated prize fund in excess of £1 million.
- In 2007 John ‘Boy’ Walton became the first player ever to hit a nine-darter in the televised stages of the Winmau World Masters.
- Eric Bristow holds the record of five Winmau World Masters titles: 1977, 1979, 1981, 1983 and 1984
- Bob Anderson is the only player to have won 3 consecutive Winmau World Masters: 1986, 1987 and 1988.
- BBC Worldwide televise the Winmau World Masters to over 70 countries around the globe to a potential TV audience of over 100 million a year.
- The Winmau World Masters has been contested in London, Frimley Green and Bridlington.
- The Winmau Youth World Masters was added in 1983 and has entertained over 100,000 Youth Players
- The Boys Masters was first played in 1986.
- The Girls Masters began in 1999.
- The vast majority of top dart players from 1974 to the present day have, at some time, participated in the World Masters.
The Winmau World Masters
A truly Global Darts event run by the British Darts Organisation
For further information regarding the Winmau premium range of darts equipment visit
© Patrick Chaplin 2008
Darts History Navigation
- History of Darts
- Capital Darts- Justin Irwin
- Darts in Court
- Importance of Darts In The 1920's & 1930's
- When & Where Darts Was Banned
- The History of The Dart
- History of The Dartboard
- Farebrother Concentric Darts
- From The Public House to The Palace
- The Inns of Darts
- The Nodor - Winmau Story
- Winmau Masters - A Brief History
- Calling time on our great British pub games
- Darting For Charity
- Darting Milestones
- The People Band
- The Pub Where ‘Game’ Was Never Called…
- Darts is a Sport
- Darts Museum
- Darts on the Wireless
- Did Cavemen Play Darts?
- Puff and Darts
- Flight collecting
- One Hundred Years of The Paper Flight
- The Language of Darts
- The Sports Argus Charity Darts Squad
- The Loyal Society of Dartsmen
- History of Ingatestone & District Darts
- Winmau Masters
- Famous Seventy Year Old Darts Trophy
NEW BOOK OUT NOW!
Learn more about my latest book and where to order it. 180! is packed with fascinating and mind-boggling facts with not a statistic in sight. It will make a great gift for all darts fans. CLICK HERE